Snail Mail Contact:
100 Simon Latour Rd.
Carencro, LA 70520
Phone: (337) 896-7802
Dr. Jaeger has spent about the last forty years working on territoriality and interspecific competition in the red-backed salamanders, Plethodon cinereus. He is currently retired but continues to publish actively. Current research examines social behavior and, in particular, social monogamy/polygamy in red-backed salamanders.
1960, University of Maryland at College Park, B.S.
1963, University of California at Berkeley, M.A.
1969, University of Marlyand at College Park, Ph.D.
1974-1980, Assistant Professor, State University of New York at Albany
1981-1982, Assistant professor, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
1982-1986, Associate Professor, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
1986-2006, Professor, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
1991-2006, Chance Professor of Biology, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
2015- present, Adjunct Research Faculty, Utica College
Behavioral Ecology of the Eastern Red-Backed Salamander: 50 Years of Research. Oxford University Press 2016.
Link to pre order now (30% off with this code – ASPROMP8)
1970-2006, 213 publications between himself and his students
Google Scholar link to all publication– NOTE: Bob does not email even if there is an email address and nobody checks it!
- Kohn N & Jaeger RG 2009. Male salamanders remember individuals based on chemical or visual cues. BEHAVIOUR 146:1485-1498.
- Prosen ED, Jaeger RG, Hucko JA. 2006. Sexual coercion in the salamander Plethodon cinereus: is it merely a result of familiarity? HERPETOLOGICA 62: 10-18.
- Joseph LL, Cope CT, Kohn NR, Jaeger RG. 2005. The influence of familiarity on socially monogamous behavior of red-backed salamanders. HERPETOLOGICA 61: 343-348.
- Prosen ED, Jaeger RG, Lee DR. 2004. Sexual coercion in a territorial salamander: females punish socially polygynous male partners. ANIM. BEHAV. 67: 85-92.
- Page RB, Jaeger RG. 2004. Multimodal signals, imperfect information, and identification of sex in red-backed salamanders (Plethodon cinereus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 56: 132-139.
- Jaeger RG, Gillette JR, Cooper RC. 2002. Sexual coercion in a territorial salamander: males punish socially polyandrous female partners. ANIM. BEHAV. 63: 871-877.
- Gillette JR, Jaeger RG, Peterson MG. 2000. Social monogamy in a territorial salamander. ANIM. BEHAV. 59: 1241-1250.
- Griffis MR, Jaeger RG. 1998. Competition leads to an extinction-prone species of salamander: Interspecific territoriality in a metapopulation. ECOLOGY 79: 2494-2502
1998 Elected fellow of the Animal Behavior Society
Advised 47 students for M.S. and Ph.D.